Friday, August 21, 2015

World Gone Wrong

You left and I said
I'd kill you. It's a bad world.
It's clearly gone wrong.

"World Gone Wrong," by the Mississippi Sheiks, is the source of the name that Bob Dylan used for his 1993 album of blues covers, as well as its first song. The song turns a breakup into a biblical event, not in a grandiose way, but in a style that is very, very sparing.

1. "Strange things have happened, like never before. My baby told me I would have to go. I can't be good no more, once like I did before. I can't be good, baby, Honey, because the world's gone wrong."
2. Feel bad now. No home.
3. I told you if I didn't leave you, I would have to kill you.
4. I tried to be loving, but you weren't loyal.
5. If this happens to you, ask God to get her off your mind.
6. When you are so irritated with her that you can no longer behave, show her the door.
7. Actually, scratch that. Show YOURSELF the front door.






No comments:

Post a Comment