Sunday, May 24, 2015

Got My Mind Made Up

You used me all up.
I’m off to Libya, or
Wherever you aren't.

The obscure song "Got My Mind Made Up" from the 1986 album "Knocked Out Loaded" brings great attitude courtesy of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, but the song is guaranteed to curdle your milk. Bob complains about a woman whom he helped and who in turn used him and quite probably abandoned him. Now he's done with her and off to Libya to meet a man who's been living in an oil refinery for three years. We're not clear on his plans.

1. Don't try to change me or convince me that I was wrong.
2. Off to Libya.
3. Call your mother in Florida and tell her everything's going to be fine.
4. I gave you money and connections and everything else.
5. Don't worry. Someone (God? A new boyfriend?) is looking after you and wouldn't do anything to you that I wouldn't do too.
6. The best line of the song: Well, if you don't want to see me, Look the other way. You don't have to feed me,
I ain't your dog that's gone astray."



No comments:

Post a Comment